Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Silver linings...

Keeping in tradition with our "going-to-the-ER" week yesterday Matt got to be the patient. He is doing fine now but gave me a little bit of a scare yesterday when he told me that his blood sugar just kept getting higher and higher. Matt is a type 1 diabetic and is on an insulin pump that keeps his blood sugar where it needs to be. For some reason (we are thinking maybe a kink in the hose?) the pump wasn't delivering the insulin he needed into his system and his blood sugar kept getting higher and higher.

Around 1pm he called me at work and told me he wasn't feeling well and that he was going to go home and change his pump. I asked him what his blood sugar was and he said it was so high the machine couldn't read it (over 600...not good!) I told him to stay put and I would pick him up. On the way to his work I called my mom who told me to head straight to the hospital, once again my mom's medical expertise has really paid off (along with what I believe was a prompting by the Holy Ghost) because once we got Matt to the ER the doctors told us that if we would have come in any later it would have caused some long term damage (they found no ketones in his body which is the thing they were the most worried about). They were able to get the insulin into his system that he needed and within a couple of hours Matt was back to his self and we were sent home.

He is doing good today, the pump seems to be doing it's job and I couldn't be more grateful! It's not fun taking your loved one to the hospital! This experience just reconfirms to me my love for my hubby, my amazing mom, and the Savior. I truly believe it was the spirit that prompted Matt to leave work early and for me to take him to the hospital. We could have just tried to resolve the problem at home but I am so glad we didn't! It's been a crazy week but it's also been amazing to see the blessings we have in our life!

No comments: