Matt has a condition called
Diabetic Retinopathy that affects his vision. Blood vessels in his eyes become damaged and it blurs his vision (blood actually leaks into his eyes which causes the blurred vision). He gets laser treatments every so often to help the poor vision. Well about 2 weeks ago the blood vessels caused his vision to become even worse in his left eye and his doctor told him he would need surgery. On Friday we took him to a clinic here in Provo to get his surgery done. He was a little nervous as they were getting ready for the surgery but was a trooper! After changing into a hospital gown and getting an IV he was ready to go. I kissed him goodbye and anxiously waited for the surgery to get over. I waited about an hour (in which I fell asleep a couple of times) until the nurse came in and told me he was done. When I went back into the post-op room he was sitting there in bed like nothing happened. He wasn't put completely under which was nice because he wasn't groggy or anything. He did have to wear a nice eye patch for the rest of the day but all and all it went very well. His vision is still really bad in that eye but after a visit to the doctor today it looks like the surgery did what it was suppose to do. It will just take time now to heal his eye but we are very grateful everything went so well. Here are some photos...

(This is right before the surgery...Matt was anxiously awaiting for them to get started)

(Right after the surgery with his eye patch on...I think he looks pretty good for just having a needle in his eye...ouch!)

(His extremely red eye)

(Checking out his lovely eye patch he wears at night so he doesn't accidentally rub his eye when he is sleeping)
No comments:
Post a Comment