Friday, December 18, 2009

The Reason for the Season!



With Christmas only a week a way I thought what a perfect time to reflect it's true meaning. I love what President Thomas S. Monson said in the December 2008 Ensign, "To catch the real meaning of the "spirit of Christmas," we need simply drop the last syllable, and it becomes the "Spirit of Christ". How perfectly said! Admist the shopping, and wrapping, and baking, and whatever else we have going on in our life right now we can easily forget the "reason for the season". We can forget that this was the time that the prophecy was fulfilled for the Lord spake, "This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears." Throughtout the Bible and Book of Mormon we read about prophecies of how our Savior would come to earth of his own free will, suffer for us and atone for our sins, that we may return to our Father again. When that baby was born and "wrapped in swadling clothes, and laid him in a manger" those prophecies were fulfilled. As I ponder this I can now see why the angels were gathered together in singing, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will towards men." I believe we were those angels and we sang praise to our Lord for we all knew that the day had come that we could be saved! How amazing and wonderful that we have this time of the year to be constantly reminded of our Saviors love towards us. May we all (myself included) take the time to allow his love into our life and thank our Father in Heaven for all the little miracles we have each day!

No comments: